Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela (July 18, 1918 -December 5, 2013) better known as Nelson Mandela born in Mvezo, South Africa. He was South Africa’s first black president from 1994 to 1999. He was a great politician, awesome philanthropist and a nonviolence anti-apartheid activist indeed. And Nelson Mandela quotes always give us direction to raise our voice for honesty and humanity.
In his young age, he studied in law and involved in the anti-apartheid movement. In 1942, he joined in African National Congress and he directed a campaign of peaceful, nonviolent defiance against the South African government for 20 years. From 1962 he spent 27 years in prison for a political issue. After left the prison, he worked to achieve human rights and a better future for everyone in South Africa. In 1993 he was awarded Nobel peace prize jointly with Frederik Willem de Klerk.
Nelson Mandela quotes for humanity and peace
Nelson Mandela was a fearless and peace-loving leader. He had a perfect combination of good heart and good head. He dedicated his whole life for the human rights, peace, and justice for the people of his country. Here are a few Nelson Mandela quotes that are most insightful to honor his legacy.
- “If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.”
- “Courageous people do not fear forgiving, for the sake of peace.”
- “When people are determined they can overcome anything.”
- “Action without vision is only passing time, vision without action is merely day dreaming, but vision with action can change the world.”
- “It always seems impossible until it’s done.”
- “The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
- “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”
- “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
- “Poverty is not an accident. Like slavery and apartheid, it is man-made and can be removed by the actions of human beings.”
- “There can be no greater gift than that of giving one’s time and energy to helping others without expecting anything in return.”
- “Without education, your children can never really meet the challenges they will face. So it’s very important to give children education and explain that they should play a role for their country.”
- “I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all person live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die.”
- “I never lose. I either win or learn.”
- “Overcoming poverty is not a gesture of charity, it is an act of justice.”
- “After climbing a great hill. One only finds that there are many more hills to climb.”
- “I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- “And if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love.
- “If you want the cooperation of humans around you, you must make them feel they are important, and you do that by being genuine and humble.”
- “We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right.”
- “There is no easy walk to freedom anywhere.”
- “To deny people their human rights is to deny their very humanity.”
- “Those who conduct themselves with morality, integrity, and consistency need not fear the forces of inhumanity and cruelty.”
- “Prison itself is a tremendous education in the need for patience and perseverance. It is above all a test of one’s commitment.”
- “If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner.”
- “Man’s goodness is a flame that can be hidden but never extinguished.”
- “You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.”
- “Let there be justice for all. Let there be peace for all. Let there be work, bread, water and salt for all.”
- “One cannot be prepared for something while secretly believing it will not happen.”
- “I have never cared very much for personal prizes. A person does not become a freedom fighter in the hope of winning awards.”
- “No one truly knows a nation until he has been inside its jails. A nation should not be judged by how it treats its highest citizens but its lowest.”
- “I have a special attachment to the people who befriended me during times of distress.”
- “What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others.”
- “People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”
- “As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
- “We too will die but that which we collectively contribute to our national cultural identity will live forever beyond us.”
- “A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. But when you add to that a literate tongue or pen, then you have something very special.”
These Nelson Mandela quotes will help you to stand for humanity, honesty in a peaceful way. He is the symbol of peacemaking in our world indeed. Hope you enjoy his sayings and if you have some favorite Nelson Mandela quotes you can write down below comment box and for more visit my quote section.